Blogs

Monday, September 1, 2008

Thing 15

Gaming: I created an account in SecondLife. My avatar walked and flew around. It became apparent that there's a lot of choices and ways to "live" in SL. To become proficient I would have to spend more time and that strikes me as boring. I guess I like reality too much. My niece took me around SecondLife with her avatar. She's much better at navigating and really "living" in SL. I'm glad I've seen what it is and maybe I'll go back and try a few more moves but it's really not my thing, for now.
So, where does that leave me with gaming in general? To promote gaming in my high school media center I would have to show my administration that the games are focused on math or reading or higher order thinking skills (like chess). That's the bottom line, otherwise, the argument would hold that we're using school resources for the wrong reasons and students can play games at home.
This is a blast from the past, but our tech para said he would like to see Monopoly, Scrabble or chess clubs become part of the media center's draw. He's talking hard copy not electronic. So, how does that fit into the "gaming" theme??

No comments: